Scheer to restore order, fairness, and compassion to Canada’s immigration system
A new Conservative government will restore public confidence in Canada’s immigration system by stopping the flow of illegal border crossers from the United States and prioritizing newcomers from the world’s most dangerous countries, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said.
“Canadians’ confidence in the immigration system has been rocked by Justin Trudeau’s chaos and mismanagement,” Scheer said. “When everybody follows the rules and the laws are enforced, immigration is good for the economy, good for jobs, and good for the people who have chosen to come to Canada.
As Prime Minister, I will take steps to restore confidence in the system and make sure Canada’s immigration system prioritizes those who need Canada’s help the most.”
As Prime Minister, Andrew Scheer will:
- Prioritize funding to support immigration services like language training, credential recognition, as well as services specifically designed for vulnerable newcomers like women, girls, and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Prioritize those who apply to come to Canada through the appropriate immigration streams, especially in the family reunification program.
- Close the loophole in the Safe Third Country Agreement.
- Move existing Immigration and Refugee Board judges to common illegal border crossing points, speeding up the process and therefore making it less attractive to enter Canada illegally.
- Hire an additional 250 CBSA enforcement officers.
- Listen carefully to provinces on immigration issues, with an aim to work closely to best accommodate their needs and priorities. A Conservative government would be ready to negotiate with the Government of Quebec to discuss the selection of those who wish to settle in Quebec. We will be open to requests to amend the Canada-Quebec Accord on Immigration.
“These measures will restore fairness and compassion to our immigration system while providing stronger enforcement of the law at the border,” said Scheer. “If these measures aren’t taken, confidence in immigration will continue to slide and legitimate refugees will wait longer and longer for Canada’s help.”
- In 2017, Justin Trudeau created an illegal border crossing crisis in Canada with his #WelcomeToCanada tweet, resulting in more than 50,000 illegal border crossers entering Canada and costing taxpayers $1.6 billion.
- A poll in August 2018 found that 65% of Canadians believed the massive influx of illegal border crossers was a “crisis.”
- Justin Trudeau has compensated Roxham Road residents $400,000 of taxpayer money for “disruptions” from those crossing the border illegally.
- Canada is built on a rock-solid foundation of enduring values, democratic institutions, the rule of law, and fundamental and universal human rights, and these values must be reflected in our immigration system.
- Only a Conservative government will restore compassion and fairness to Canada’s immigration system while protecting and securing our borders.
ANDREW SCHEER’S PLAN FOR YOU TO GET AHEAD:
- Scrap the Trudeau Carbon Tax, lowering the cost of everyday essentials like gas, groceries, and home heating.
- Introduce the Universal Tax Cut, saving an average couple $850.
- Take the GST off home heating costs, saving your family $107 every year.
- Introduce the Green Public Transit Tax Credit, saving a family of four who take transit up to $1,000.
- Make maternity benefits tax-free, putting up to $4,000 back in the pockets of new parents.
- Introduce the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit, allowing parents to claim up to $1,000 for sports activities.
- Introduce the Children’s Arts and Learning Tax Credit, letting parents claim up to $500 for arts and learning programs.
- Expand the Age Credit, benefiting the lowest income Canadians the most and giving a senior couple up to $300.
- Boost government-matching to RESPs by 50%, helping parents get more for their kids’ education.
- Introduce the Green Home Renovation Tax Credit, putting up to $3,800 back in the pockets of Canadians for green home improvements.